In the beginning ... a schoolhouse was built in 1862 by William Grawcock. He named it Sugar Grove. Elder H. A. Croy preached in it occasionally. Finding that the schoolhouse was too small, plans were made in 1879 to build a church across the road. Estimate for this new brick building was $800.00. The bricks were made at the farm that is on the first curve east of the church. Work started on this building, but had to cease after the wooden schoolhouse burned (be sure to ask about what caused the schoolhouse to burn). The bricks that were intended for the church were used to rebuild the schoolhouse instead. By looking at the front wall of the church and comparing it with the others, one may be able to notice the difference in the bricks. The first sermon was held on February 20, 1881, led by the Elder John Parker. In 1912, the church was remodeled. The inside entrance was changed and the beautiful stained glass windows were installed. Attendance had its ups and downs, and in fact, from 1926-1928 the church doors closed. They were opened in late 1928 with Pastor Marion Shroyer. During this time, it was customary for the men to sit on the west side and the women to sit on the east. On January 14, 1948, the building was damaged by fire. It is believed that the furnace, started earlier in the day for an evening prayer meeting, caused the fire. The Churubusco Fire Department would not leave the city limits for fires. A stained glass window was broken, and those attending the prayer meeting got water from the school pump and the Delanoy farm to help put out the fire. The fire burned a hole in the floor and a couple of pews burned. You will notice that when the window was repaired, a darker purple glass was used on the damaged window. In 1960, the church was remodeled again. The balcony was added, new pews were purchased and the present ceiling installed. The steeple and belfry were repaired in 1965. The annex was built on the east side of the church in 1970. This added two classrooms, an office, nursery, library, rest rooms, and furnace room. In August of 1994, ground was broken for a fellowship hall. This addition has a kitchen, heating system, large fellowship hall, restrooms, and handicap entrance. The nearby schoolhouse, which played an important part in church gatherings and ice cream socials, was razed in 1999. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on May 23, 2004, for the current sanctuary. The first Sunday service was held on January 2, 2005, with 267 in attendance. It was decided that the old sanctuary would now be referred to as the chapel. Several church members were involved with the planning and different avenues of construction. The sanctuary can seat close to 240 people in pews and up to 320 with additional chairs. Highlights of the sanctuary include a sound room, classroom, storage area, and baptistery. Today Sugar Grove holds two Sunday services at 8:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. with an average attendance of 360. Our church is involved with various mission outreaches. Our leaders include Pastor Tim Grable, Associate Pastor Tim Miles, Youth Leader Michael Baumert, & General Ministries Leader Lory Norden. Thanks for taking the time to join us as we welcome you into our beloved church.